There’s actually not a lot that we can say we know for sure about life, but this is one of them.
We get born, and then some time later, we die.
Yes, it may be unpalatable news and uncomfortable at that, but it is TRUE! It really is.
What’s more, we cannot know how it will happen. Statistics show that most people in the UK will die slowly of old age or an illness associated with such, but in actual fact the truth is that we have no clue what will happen to us.
- No-one thought that my 24 year old distant cousin would crash his car one night into a tree and be killed on the spot
- No-one guessed that the tightness in Marlene’s chest would be diagnosed as cancer, that she would refuse treatment and then die a few months later.
- No-one thought in the South of England one day, a straw bale would roll down a field, burst through the bushes, and cause a crash that would kill the driver.
(These are all true stories).
Even when we know people will die because they are very old, we find it difficult to accept.
Even estate lawyers, who specialize in wills for other people, often have not got their own end of life affairs in order.
The fact is, we live in a world where all of us pretend we know what is going to happen, and then get shocked when things don’t go according to our plan.
And this happens ALL THE TIME!
It’s amazing how deluded we are.
But is there anything to be done about it, other than laugh incredulously at the capacity for the human mind to delude itself?
Yes. There are many things, and one practical one is to…
Complete an Advance Directive (Living Will).
This is a document that states what you would wish to happen towards the end of your life (if you don’t die suddenly).
- Do you really want your life to be prolonged if you are in discomfort or even pain?
- Do you want doctors and nurses to take action with life-sustaining treatment when you cannot (for whatever reason) communicate your own wishes?
- Do you have strong feelings or thoughts about this, based on your beliefs or your religion?
If so, you need to get them down in writing in the form of an Advance Directive.
If you are at all unsure about this, then watch this film on Netflix. (If you haven’t got Netflix, you can subscribe for free, watch it and then cancel your subscription). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJiY8duVgz0 (This is the trailer).
Creating your Advance Directive is covered in Module 3 of our Before I Go Method Programme.
Get more info about this here.
Leave a Comment